Ingrid and Reina at the Portola Hotel & Spa
Often times when traveling, we take for granted those crisp linens, fluffed pillows, sparkling clean restrooms and turn down service, but this week I urge you to take a moment, and if you are staying in a hotel, say “thank you” to the property’s housekeeping team! This week marks Housekeeping Appreciation Week and here at the Portola Hotel & Spa in beautiful Monterey, we are celebrating and making it a point to honor our amazing crew!
Justa from the Housekeeping Department at the Portola Hotel
Mercedes Evans, Director of Housekeeping at the Portola, sent us some of her top insider travel tips when entering your hotel room and we thought it fitting to share this week in particular. We asked Mercedes what her top 10 tips were when she is staying at hotel property, and here they are! Thank you, Mercedes!
Mercedes Evans, Director of Housekeeping at the Portola Hotel
- First thing I do is find the Wi-Fi code and connect, if available whether in the room or lobby
- Next I find the luggage rack and place my luggage on it, so it’s easy to access and off the floor
- I throw myself on the bed to get a feel of the luxury bed and linens. This is one of my favorite thing to do!
- I take out my toiletries and place them on the bathroom counter. I put a wash cloth underneath all of it to make it easier for the housekeeper who will be cleaning.
- I find the bath robes and hang them on the bathroom hook for easy access
- I plug my smart phone on the hotels connection and play music while I get ready to head out
- If a bath tub is available, I always take a long bath after dinner. So if the hotel has added amenities such as bath pearls, (often times available by request) I definitely add that in with my own bubble bath
- If the room has a balcony, I like to sit outside and enjoy the view with a glass of wine and maybe some chocolate covered strawberries
- If a fireplace is available I turn it on to create a relaxing ambiance
- If I see one of the property’s housekeepers, I always make it a point to just simply say, ”thank you” and let them know I appreciate their hard work
Emma at the Portola Hotel & Spa
Elsy and Francisca in Cottonwood Plaza at the Portola Hotel & Spa