Okay – so the 2018 will be here in just a few short days and it’s time to make those resolutions! I don’t know about you, but I want 2018 to be all about being fit, fabulous and most importantly, happy. Being that my happy place is the beautiful Monterey Peninsula, I decided to use that as my inspiration for my resolutions – which I hope inspires you to either join in or create your own, amazing list!
- Hit the gym at least one day a week – my favorite spot is the fitness center at the Portola Hotel & Spa, which they share with Spa on the Plaza – AND now memberships (which also include spa treatments) are being offered through the Spa. Check it out!
- There’s nothing better than getting a workout in while simultaneously enjoying awesome views. One of my favorite spots for either riding my bike, walking, or jogging is Monterey’s Coastal Recreation Trail
- Namaste – clear your mind by practicing yoga. Whether in a studio, on the beach, in a vineyard or just in your own living space; carve out some time to focus and reset. Local instructor, Kate Balog teaches at a variety of locations around the Peninsula, including a special series offered in the summer at the Portola Hotel.
- Take it to the water – try something a bit unconventional including Stand-Up Paddle boarding or kayaking. The smooth waters of the Monterey Bay make for an ideal setting. Rentals and instruction available at Adventures by the Sea.
- Be a kid again – engage and enjoy every moment with your kiddos, nieces, nephews, etc. Head on out to a local park and play tag, climb the monkey bars and of course, don’t forget lots of laughter, which is always good for the soul!
- Relax and stimulate your mind – grab a book and head out to the beach, find a quite corner at home, a cozy coffee shop or if at the Portola, sit down and read in their new library located in the lobby.
- Reward yourself- there’s no reason to deprive oneself of good food and drink when focused on being healthier. Order a salad featuring locally sourced produce or fresh seafood entrée at Jacks Monterey – and you can even treat yourself with one of their signature mocktails!
- Take a day to just relax and do nothing! Book yourself a night at the Portola, lounge around in a cozy terry robe, order room service, watch a classic movie and watch the sun set or even rise over the Monterey Bay from your private balcony.
- Get out of your comfort zone – make a plan to try one new activity each month that you have never tried before. Maybe it’s a barre class, a tennis lesson or evening signing up for a 5K!
- Be thankful! Every day, take a minute and right down an intention, something you are thankful for or a new goal – it sounds like something so simple, but can have a lasting, positive impact.
Happy New Year to All!