Happy Earth Day from the Portola Hotel & Spa Green LEEDers!
We are all proud to be a part of a U.S. Green Building Council LEED® Certified property and we believe in living and promoting green initiatives both at the hotel and in our personal homes. In honor of Earth Day 2016, we have gathered a list of our favorite tips and tricks for being green.
Green Tips from the Portola Green LEEDers:
- “Place a 5 gallon bucket under the eaves of your house to catch rain water to use later and water plants.” – Amy Gibson, Director of Conference Services
- “Reuse old documents for scratch paper to write down phone messages or take notes.” – Jackie Olsen, Marketing Manager
- “Reuse boxes and packing materials when shipping a package. Housekeeping uses all recycled boxes and materials when shipping items to guests that were left behind at the hotel.” – Nicole Denter, Housekeeping Coordinator
- “Use re-usable straws at home and try to bring them out with you to help eliminate the use of one-time plastic items.” Paige Ettin, Food & Beverage Coordinator
- “Reuse old envelopes for shopping list and dry cleaner bags for can liners.” – Stacie Tarantino, Jacks Restaurant Assistant Manager
- “Stop using staples in the office and at home. Stapled paper can usually not be recycled. Encourage employees to use paperclips or fold the edges of paper. You can also invest in staple-less staplers that punch the paper to hold it together.– Jessica Varela, Lead Reservations Agent
To learn more about the Portola Hotel & Spa and our green initiatives, please visit www.portolahotel.com.